[lbo-talk] Watching Bush on tv tonight...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 19 09:51:27 PDT 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> Begg was initially imprisoned at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan.
> Later, he was transferred to Guantanamo where he spent two years -
> mostly in solitary confinement, I believe.

Yup, mostly in solitary. I asked him what his fellow inmates were like, and he had to remind me that he actually met very few of them.

He also said that the soldiers at Gitmo had grown sickened and embarrassed by what they were expected to do, and he actually befriended several of them. He's a remarkably generous and forgiving man - I can't imagine how you could emerge from the three years in hell he'd experienced in such good form, so quick to emphasize that he'd had 30 free years, which greatly outweighed his three in confinement.

Doug