[lbo-talk] Re: (didnt we agree to stop talking about) The Transformation Problem

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 19 23:50:02 PDT 2006

I don't agree with Doug that it is intrinsically impossible to manipulate the oil price for political ends. Enron manipulated the electricity price in California - mainly for profit but they must have been aware that the blackout would likely have favourable political consequences. Since the big catalyst for the last leg up in oil prices was the BP Proudhon Bay fiasco, you can sort of see how someone who really wanted to manipulate a US election might be able to play around a bit with the scheduling of pipeline maintenance and refinery outages in order to move some of the volatility around in the gasoline price so that a spike or notch would occur immediately before (or after) an election.

On the other hand, it's a hell of a way to make an omelette, innit? You would be messing around with the entire innards of your business, giving up profit opportunities and potentially exposing yourself to substantial risk of loss. You would have to believe a) very firmly in Doug's gas/Bush chart, which while it is a cool chart is not exactly an iron law of psephology, and b) that Bush's personal approval rating mapped onto Congressional election results in a reasonably straightforward way. When compared to the alternative strategy of "bribing whoever gets in", which is at least tried and tested, trying to rig an election via the oil price looks like a loser. It makes more sense to believe that Bush has just got (a little bit, 44% approval is still crap) lucky with the timing of the maintenance schedule at BP.

There is another interesting angle here (I have no idea why I am supplying raw material to oil conspiracy theorists; the "Euro-denominated oil bourse" crowd are the bane of my fucking life) although Big Oil doesn't have much of an interest in driving down the oil price around election times, the Strategic Petroleum Reserve could be thought to. Bush did in fact order a halt to SPR deposits, in April of this year, in an attempt to reduce upward pressure on gasoline prices (it worked about as well as his many other schemes to ensure cheap gasoline).

best dd

___________________________________________________________ Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy and free. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/trueswitch2.html