[lbo-talk] Mike Davis on the "colonization" of Baja California

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Sep 20 08:57:33 PDT 2006

Colin Brace wrote:

> Indeed, the first two stages of informal annexation have already
> occurred. Under the banner of NAFTA, Southern California has exported
> hundreds of its sweatshops and toxic industries to the maquiladora
> zones of Tijuana and Mexicali. The Pacific Maritime Association,
> representing the West Coast's major shipping companies, has joined
> forces with Korean and Japanese corporations to explore the
> construction of a vast new container port at Punta Colonel, 150 miles
> south of Tijuana, which would undercut the power of longshore unionism
> in San Pedro and San Francisco.

I believe that part of that plan is to build a railroad from Punta Colonel to Kansas City and points in the Midwest.

There are plans to build a new "port" outside of Kansas City near Gardner, KS, which is just southwest of Olathe, which is all in the southwest corner of the greater Kansas City area. There are solid plans to build a huge new intermodal train facility. There is also talk about building a "border processing" facility in that area too. This project would allow the authorities to process trucks from Mexico which have been sealed during their trip up from Mexico.

Then there is talk about the new NAFTA superhighway that would expand I-35 all the way from Texas to Minnestoa.

Chuck