[lbo-talk] Citizen initiatives and referendums

Michael Hoover mhhoover at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:18:45 PDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any studies (preferably available on the web), from
> a left perspective, analysing how the citizen initiative/referendum
> process has actually worked where it's in place? My memory from seven
> years in California was that not very much good and an awful lot bad
> came out of it, but I could use something a bit more scientific.

poli sci guy dan smith at the university of florida has written/co-written quite a bit on above, this website includes a number of articles on the topic (and some other matters as well): http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/dasmith/pubs.htm

you might check out the initiative and referendum institute: http://www.iandrinstitute.org/

and the ballot initiative strategy center: http://www.ballot.org/

and if you want to make/take the time and put forth the effort, here's some books:

Dan Smith & Caroline Tolbert, Educated by Initiative: The Effects of Direct Democracy on Citizens and Political Organizations in the American States

Elisabeth Gerber, The Populist Paradox: Interest Group Influence and the Promise of Direct Democracy

Richard Ellis, Democratic Delusions: The Initiative Process in America

Shaun Bowler, Caroline Tolbert, & Todd Donovan (eds.), Citizens As Legislators: Direct Democracy in the United States

above is just a start, will be happy to provide more sources but you're probably already tired by now... michael hoover