[lbo-talk] news from Texas

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 21 07:30:13 PDT 2006

[from Popbitch]

Travis County, Texas, has been thinking about

the kind of benefits they can best provide for

their employees. And what they've decided to

offer... is free stomach reduction surgery.

County bosses are looking at providing 15

bariatic surgeries per year. Each surgery costs

about $20,000 but the county thinks it will work

out cheaper than healthcare costs do now. County

Judge Sam Biscoe explained, "We do have more

than our fair share of employees who qualify."

To qualify, employees have to be morbidly obese

and have one year monitored unsuccessful dieting.

10% of the county's 4,100 workforce can apply.