[lbo-talk] Leo Strauss

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 15:38:33 PDT 2006

Charles asks:

--- Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:

> CB: What's Strauss' relation to Nietzsche ?
>
> -------

Here is a post I wrote for another list that (out of context) that partly addresses Charles' question, though in a superficial way.

Nietzsche was by training a classical philologist, a student of the origin, meaning, and history of words as used in classical texts. He was only very briefly a

professor; he hated the academy (see "We Scholars" in Beyond Good and Evil). Being a professor made no serious mark on him; his major work as a professor, The Birth of Tragedy, was so strange, from an academic point of view, that he was regarded by the profession as Someone Too Wacko To Be Taken Seriously.

Chuck is right that the Greeks were very important for both Strauss and Nietzsche, but I think in very different ways. Strauss wrote about classical philosophy, but the key to his interest in classical philosophy, I believe, is Plato's idea of the Noble Lie, from the Republic, as explained below; it is the source of his doctrine that the great thinkers have an exoteric and an esoteric doctrine, the former for public consumption and the latter for the cognesienti who have mastered Straussian reading.

Strauss may have indulged in the usual German Romantic fantasy about pre-Socratic Greek culture asa realm of wholeness, happy hierachrchy, and unquestioned obedience to the masters -- one gets some of this in Hegel's doctrine of Sittlichkeit or Ethical Life in the Phenomenology of Spirit.

And Nietzsche was no friend of Socrates either, but not because he thought Socrates busted up a happy wholeness in hierarchy -- the whole point of The Birth of Tragedy is that preSocratic Greece was a witches' brew of Dionysian conflict that gets covered up[ by an Apollonian mask of calmness and reason.

He returns to the idea that ancient (preSocratic) Greece was a world of confict in the Geneaology, with his class struggle account of the origin of morality. Nietzsche was deliberately attempting to dynamite the image of Greeks that had been made sacred in German (and other continental, as well as, but N did not knwo this, English) education.

However Chuck is right that Nietzsche's Greeks have something to do with Strauss's Greeks and with Strauss' appropriation of Nietzsche; this requires more examination.

jks

* **

Strauss is an evil scumbag, the worst kind of abuser of Nietzsche, the eminance grise of American neoconservatism. Every word he wrote was a lie -- and this was his theory. he was inspired by Plato's idea of The Noble Lie in The Republic -- the story that hierarchy of philosopher-kings, guardians, and worker bees is justified by the "fact" that the first are made of gold, the second of silver, and the third of lead -- Plato in fact believed that abilities of different sorts are randomly distributed, but that hierarchy is socially necessary, and some sort lie like that is necessary to get people (including the philosopher kings) to accept it.

Now Strauss thought that the world is divided into the tiny handful of people in the Program in Social Thought at the University of Chicago who can handle the Nietzschean truth (as he understood it to be) that God is dead and life is meaningless, and the mass of boneheads who have to believe in the lie that there are absolute values built into the structure of the universe, without which belief society would collapse.

Not only did Strauss write books like Natural Right and History in which he deliberately lied about the existence of such absolutely truths in which he most emphatically did not believe, but he thought that many of the important thinker sin Western thought had the same idea -- Thucydides, Plato, Maimonides, Machiavelli, Rousseau, Hobbes, and of course Nietzsche -- all people he wrote about. (Some of these people arguably did believe something sort of like this.) He "taught" (this is the way Straussians talk) that there us an exoteric meaning in the great writers for the hoi poloi and esoteric ones for initiates of the Program In Social Thought.

Straussian method is actually similar to what was later come to be rediscovered by the French as deconstruction -- careful reading, focusing on contradictions and inconsistencies that "show" that what they apparently said is not what they meant, and what they really meant is what Strauss thought. As someone who has been on the receiving end of several Straussian teachers (not at U of C), I can testify that it is actually a pretty bracing and exciting experience, which is probably part of why it is so seductive to many who become acolytes -- that being being told that you are part of a special elite.

In addition, though tendentious in the main, Strauss's books, or some of them, are pretty interesting, at least the interpretive ones -- not the silly lies he wrote about absolute value. As are some book by his disciples, including Allan Bloom, btw, many of whom are very smart.

Strauss' influence in American public life has been baneful. A Canadian writer named Shadia Drury, author of Leo Strauss and the American Right, as well as some other books, has explained Strauss' ideas (with careful references) and traced his influence -- and this was before his followers in the Bush administration elevated his ideas into an imperial policy. Because while Strauss of course hated Communism and Fascism (he probably would not have hated fascism if he had not been Jewish), he despised democracy -- while lying to say that he believed in it passionately. What he really believed in, politically, is rule by philosopher kings in the name of democracy.

Anyway, that's a short intro. Read Drury for more details.