[lbo-talk] Bushehr, the Longest-built Reactor in Human History

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 16:29:57 PDT 2006

VIENNA. Sept 18 (Interfax) - Progress in the construction of the nuclear power plant in Bushehr will be the main subject of talks for head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Gholamreza Aghazadeh in Moscow on September 25, head of the Russian Atomic energy Agency Sergei Kiriyenko has said.

"We are planning to discuss the schedule of operations in Bushehr," he told the press in Vienna, responding to a question from Interfax.

He said that under the schedule the physical launching of the plant is due in September 2007; and the energy startup, in November 2007.</blockquote>

That's nice, a perfect diplomatic timing for announcement like this. I love the Russians!

But, according to Patrick Armstrong, "if it does [get built by September 2007], it will surely be the longest-built reactor in human history -- this will be twelve years since the Russians took over the partly-built German effort which, in turn, began in 1974" (at <http://groups.google.com/group/Untimely_Thoughts_An_Expert_Discussion_Group_on_Russia/browse_thread/thread/2f1add2d7045877c?hl=en>).

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>