[lbo-talk] The Chavez Bounce: Chomsky No. 5 On Amazon

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 08:00:23 PDT 2006

>From: Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>>
>>Pretty good for a dead guy. BTW, when Chávez said at a news conference
>>that one of his greatest regrets was not getting to meet Chomsky before he
>>died, was this a joke -- i.e., a suggestion that anyone with the temerity
>>to make Chomsky's claims about the US would of course get bumped off by
>>the government?
>
>Chavez was praising both Chomsky and J.K Galbraith. He was referring
>to the latter.

The NY Times got it wrong then -- unprecedented ;-) Viz.: "But compared with Mr. Ahmadinejad, Mr. Chávez was just more colorful. He brandished a copy of Noam Chomsky’s 'Hegemony or Survival: America’s Quest for Global Dominance' and recommended it to members of the General Assembly to read. Later, he told a news conference that one of his greatest regrets was not getting to meet Mr. Chomsky before he died. (Mr. Chomsky, 77, is still alive.)" <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/21/world/21speeches.html?ex=1159070400&en=04d742d2a95441df&ei=5087%0A>

BTW, it's sad to see Jesse Jackson devolve into a kibbitzing opportunist, offering patronizing advice to try to make himself look good at Chávez's expense. What a pathetic hack the former "tree shaker, not a jelly maker" Jackson has become , viz.:

The Rev. Jesse Jackson met with Chavez on Thursday night, saying he was concerned by the name-calling and believed both sides need to tone down their rhetoric.

''Of course he feels that the U.S. government is part of trying to pull a coup on him. ... But my appeal to him is get beyond the anger,'' Jackson said.

''I think that he should not be calling President Bush 'devil.' President Bush should not be calling him 'evil' or calling him 'tyrant,''' Jackson said. ''We must cease these hostilities.''

<http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Outspoken-Chavez.html>