[lbo-talk] Chomsky: Dershowitz ... debating ...

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Sep 22 11:17:15 PDT 2006

At around 22/9/06 1:13 pm, Andy F wrote:

> What remember of the whole "debate team" format was that you were
> supposed to take a position and defend it by whatever (verbal) means
> necessary, regardless of what you thought of its merits. Do I have
> this wrong? It seemed profoundly cynical.

That was the debating format of my childhood, and I am afraid I disagree that it is/was a bad thing (i.e., profoundly cynical). We have to remember that the vast majority of the world lives and thinks through received notions. Included among these notions is one of deep suspicion towards alternatives. Forcing people to adopt an alien position and attempt to defend it, may be the only way to pry their (our) mind's open. Sophism is a false bogeyman (especially when compared to determinism a.k.a pig-headedness).

--ravi

P.S: Debating cured me of religion ;-). It also showed me that my winning an argument does not make my position correct or true.

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/