[lbo-talk] Chomsky now at No. 1 on Amazon, No. 2 at Barnes & Nobl

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 11:35:04 PDT 2006

On 9/22/06, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > The President of Venezuela is eclectic. He appears to believe in
> > "peak oil," having read -- ready? -- Jeremy Rifkin, recommended by
> > Fidel (!).
>
> But evidently he's able to express his own ignorance by planting his
> foot firmly into his mouth...
<snip>

Ha! If el Presidente Chávez favorably mentions Michael A. Lebowitz's Build It Now! <http://www.monthlyreview.org/builditnow.htm> the next time he gives an address on a big occasion, I'll give him a break on this faux pas. :-> Surely el Presidente owes us a sensational book endorsement or two: after all, Monthly Review has books and articles about him and his country!

On 9/22/06, Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How does bin Laden or
> Chavez come across the book

I don't know about bin Laden, but, as far as Chavez is concerned, he has no shortage of intellectuals on the Left, from the US as well as the rest of the world, flocking to Venezuela, studying and making contributions to the Bolivarian Revolution, and no doubt recommending books to read as well. Check out Venezuela's new international intellectual adventure, the now officially launched Centro Internacional Miranda: <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/cim150906.html> <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/aporrea150906.html>

A special Peter McLaren Chair "la cátedra Peter Mclaren de Pedagogía Crítica" has just gotten inaugurated, established by the CIM and the Bolivarian University of Venezuela. Those of you who are interested in the contribution of critical pedagogy to the Venezuelan Revolution can take a course in, and attend events about, critical pedagogy there.

> You could also send them to Bin Laden.
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/20/AR2006012001971_pf.html
>
> but his communication with the global literati is so infrequent I
> think chavez is a much better bet--though don't rule out Ahmadinejad.

Hey, that's an idea. Maybe I'll send the President of Iran a copy of this MR book:

UNDERSTANDING THE VENEZUELAN REVOLUTION Hugo Chávez Talks to Marta Harnecker by Hugo Chávez and Marta Harnecker translated by Chesa Boudin <http://www.monthlyreview.org/venezuelanrevolution.htm> -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>