[lbo-talk] transformation

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 12:00:04 PDT 2006

Hi,

Couldn't the problem actually be the lack of a "mob". By this I mean, if a market is dominated by oligopolies and traders with too much freedom of action (because they control so much capital), should it surprise us that there are distortions?

If, instead, a market was dominated by the many actual users of oil who, presumably, have a narrower tolerance for price movements, wouldn't we expect a more rational price to be arrived at? If end-users had enough capital, we would expect them to be able to recognize a bargain price (relative to their costs of production) and lock in that price for a time period that would see them through periods of fluctuation.

But the tolerance for price movements is a very large consideration. If end-users of oil are not sufficiently price-sensitive, would there be any mechanism that could determine the "right" price?. Can there be a "right" price if end-users are very flexible?

boddi