[lbo-talk] Did Chavez really say Chomsky was dead, or was this an error by the NYT?

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 12:22:19 PDT 2006

On 9/22/06, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote for PEN-l:
> It's starting to look like Chavez never said that Chomsky was dead,
> this was an NYT error. Chavez was talking about Galbraith, the elder,
> as this reporting by Reuters indicates. Looks like the NYT bobbled it.
>
> "In his New York appearance, Chavez invoked Bolivar and his other
> favorite leaders and thinkers as he lectured Americans on their own
> history and race relations, such as slavery and the conquest of Native
> Americans.
>
> The dark-skinned, mixed race leader told New Yorkers to read Abraham
> Lincoln and Mark Twain as well as modern thinkers like Noam Chomsky
> and John Kenneth Galbraith, lamenting he could not meet Galbraith
> before he died in April at age 97."
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/news/news-usa-venezuela-chavez.html
>
> Join me in asking the NYT for verification or correction...

It looks like foreign leaders -- from Ahmadinejad to Chavez -- can never get their words accurately transcribed, translated into English, and reported by the media in the United States. :->

I can spot and correct some errors in the case of Spanish-English translation, but I am just now getting to be able to use a Persian-English dictionary, so it will be quite some time before I may be of service to the Iranian people.

If only my countrymen were a little more rebellious, if not quite like the French, the Iranians, and the Venezuelans! Will I ever get to use my Japanese-English translation capability for a revolution in Japan? -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>