[lbo-talk] Debates and the Adversial Process

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 22 13:01:41 PDT 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Debates in HS (I was a HS debater) are a version of
> this process. Having to argue for something whether
> you believe in it or not is not such a bad thing; it
> may give you an appreciation for the strengths on a
> view you reject and the weaknesses of your own.

As I discovered 37 years and one month ago, it is a skill one should be careful in exercising. At that time, in an SDS meeting, I explained the arguments of the Weatherman faction -- and I'll be damned but in the process I 'converted' two members to the Weathermen, with ultimate disastrous results for the chapter.

Carrol