[lbo-talk] Chomsky now at No. 1 on Amazon, No. 2 at Barnes & Nobl

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Fri Sep 22 21:06:59 PDT 2006

Chuck wrote:
> Right. But you can still see it as a joke even if you support it to
> some degree.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that outright hostility to the existence of the U.N.
> is so low. I guess we anarchists have an uphill climb to get people to
> reject the United Nations.

You'd enjoy it here in SA; in September 2001 around 15 000 people protested *against* the UN at the World Conference Against Racism (in Durban) because of inadequate positions on reparations and Zionism.

In August 2002, around 25 000 people protested against the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Joburg largely because the UN was ganging up with imperial/subimperial states and corporations to promote privatisation and otherwise ignore the pressing ecological and social problems faced by the masses.

There was, I recall, a small anarchist contingent at both; they try hard but we've not yet had a black bloc. There's a red carpet for you to come try!

P.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: pbond.vcf Type: text/x-vcard Size: 185 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20060923/10d33f9b/attachment.vcf>