[lbo-talk] Ahmadinejad Will Not Speak at CU

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 23 20:38:23 PDT 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 8:20 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:

> --- Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Campus Zionism in action! -- Yoshie
>

> Refusing a platform to Holocaust deniers is standard
> Antifascist praxis.

He's not just anyone - he's the president of an important country. The Council on Foreign Relations invited Ahmadinejad to speak the other day, and faced protests from the Israeli ambassador, and the unbearable Elie Wiesel, who tried to get all the Jews to resign from the Council. Things have gotten so nutty that the president of the CFR is a voice of reason. As today's NYT put it (Richard Haass is the president of the CFR):
> Mr. Haass has said that the decision to invite Mr. Ahmadinejad was
> a difficult one, but that he decided that “with so little discourse
> under way with Iran,” it was important for the Iranian leader to
> understand how vociferously leaders of the American foreign policy
> community, of all parties, were responding to his statements.
>
> “Two hours of give and take don’t give him legitimacy,” Mr. Haass
> said after the meeting. “They reflect the fact that he is
> president, and our nations have a lot of problems to talk out.”
Doug