[lbo-talk] Leo Strauss (CB)/Nietzsche/Spinoza/God

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 23:03:12 PDT 2006

Nietzsche was quite keen on Spinoza. But he doesn't spend a lot of time on any modern (non-ancient) philosopher. FWIT the epigraphs to my PhD thesis (on materialism) were quotes from Spinoza and Nietzsche, and I am pretty sure N pointed me to the quote from S.

S was of course excommunicated from the Jewish community in the Netherlands for atheism because he rejected a transcendental God -- Deus sive Natura, God or Nature -- is his way of referring to the deity. But it is incorrect to treat him as an atheist as opposed to an antisupernaturalist. For S, the mind and body are different aspects of the same thing, so the word, regarded as mind, is God. Hegel of course was absolutely high on this formulation.

S was not an atheist in the way as d'Holbach, de Mettrie, and Hume (despite his protestations, necessary in the circumstances) or his contemporary Hobbes (also despite necessary protestation to the contrary) -- open atheism would have been worth Hobbes' life, quite literally, and Hume's reputation. The French guys could get away with it because they lived in a cynically Catholic country. Frederick the great once asked the mathematician LaPlace, who put Newtonian mechanics on a firm mathematical footing that we still pretty much use, where there was room for God in his universe. "Your Highness," said the scholar, "I have no use for that hypothesis." But Frederick was probably a a closet atheist too. (Newton, by contrast, was complete religious fanatic.)

Anyway, Hobbes, Hume, and the French guys they were just atheists in the Proverbial sense ("The fool saith in his heart, 'There is no God.'"). S had an eccentric notion of the divine -- one that Einstein later subscribed to. There is no reason to think that he was really a secret atheist likes Hobbes or Hume.

Neither was Nietzsche an atheist like Hobbes or Hume (probably) or de Mettrie or De D'Holbach. Nietzsche takes to metaphysical positions. He could not care less about whether certain a supernatural being existed or not, although he doubtless did not believe that it did.

N's proposition "God is dead," is a piece of sociological genealogy, an observation that _belief_ in the existence of a supernatural deity is (he thinks) no longer sustainable and not something that can play the social role it once did. It is like Marx's comment on religion as the opiate of the masses, which bypasses the truth value of religious claims and addresses their social role. So if Spinoza was an atheist, which he was not, he was not on the same page as Nietzsche. And N was definitely not on the same page as Hobbes, Hume or hibachi, but very much on the same page as Marx.