[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 24 07:52:48 PDT 2006

>From: "sean.andrews" <cultstud76 at gmail.com>

>to seem sane and reasonable and not propagandistic (i.e. making comparisons
>to ideological commonplaces like the devil) when he appears in public. And
>when you stand in front of the UN and you say it smells like sulfur because
>the Devil, in the form of Bush, had stood there before, it doesn't do much
>for your world image, even if it does play to the base back home. And,
>when anyone stands in front of the UN and says that, I don't think it's all
>that propagandistic to point it out on a comedy show because it's pretty
>funny. I'll agree that they took it too far, but I don't see how the
>people at comedy central have more of a responsibility to guard Chavez's
>international (or domestic US) image than Chavez does.

I find it depressing that you and Chuck are as obtuse as you are -- that you fail to see that Chávez is the gifted satirist and Jon Stewart the hack propagandist. I've written speeches for a living, and I've never been more impressed by any presentation than the addess Chávez delivered at the UN; it was an oratorical masterpiece. Stewart, OTOH, is a mere master of phony transgressiveness -- a guy who, at day's end, is just as mawkishly pro-US as any Middle American. Stewart's antecedents are Bob Hope, Johnny Carson and Yakov Smirnov, not Mark Twain or Mort Sahl.

Carl