[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Sep 24 08:08:41 PDT 2006

J. Tyler wrote:

> I love Jon Stewart, but he fucked up on this. This piece put him firmly
> in line with U.S. anti-Chavez propaganda. Why would any American spend
> any time castigating Chavez if not for propaganda? Chavez has no
> influence in this country, and the only reason to even think about him
> as an American is for the purpose of influencing Venezuela. Stewart's
> audience is Americans. He has no business telling Americans Venezuela's
> leader is crazy and that anybody who meets with him is crazy by
> association. That only makes it easier for the U.S. government to
> interfere in Venezuela's domestic affairs and to discredit critics of
> the U.S. government.
>
> And Stewart cannot for a second take refuge in the "comedian" label.
> He's funny, yes. But he's not a comedian. He's a political figure and
> satirist, and he is that by very deliberate choice. As an American, he
> has no business taking on Chavez, except as a media pawn to advance
> American imperial adventures there, which I am sure Stewart does not
> wish to be (and which is why I characterize it as a mistake). If he
> wants to be serious (and, make no mistake about it, he does), he should
> focus on only one thing: the U.S. government.

Are you fucking serious? You are mad at Stewart for doing what you like him doing if the target was George Bush? Stewart is such a brilliant comedian because he skewers authority figures of all kinds, across the political spectrum.

Jesus Christ, I didn't realize the American left could reach this level of patheticism. Now we've heard from somebody who thinks that Stewart should toe some lefty line about comedy.

Comrade Stewart! You've inappropriately made fun of the Comrade Leader! Off to the gulag work camps with you!

Chuck