[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 08:11:39 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Tayssir John Gabbour <tjg at pentaside.org> wrote:
> J. Tyler wrote:
> > And Stewart cannot for a second take refuge in the "comedian" label.
> > He's funny, yes. But he's not a comedian. He's a political figure
> > and satirist, and he is that by very deliberate choice. As an
> > American, he has no business taking on Chavez, except as a media
> > pawn to advance American imperial adventures there, which I am sure
> > Stewart does not wish to be (and which is why I characterize it as a
> > mistake). If he wants to be serious (and, make no mistake about it,
> > he does), he should focus on only one thing: the U.S. government.
>
> At his entertaining appearance on CSPAN, at a journalists' breakfast,
> Jon Stewart discusses his role on his show:
> http://www.c-span.org/Search/basic.asp?BasicQueryText=jon+stewart&SortBy=date
>
> We should keep in mind that The Daily Show is dependent on mainstream
> media for setting context... and people like Stewart and Rob Corddry are
> very explicit about this. They poke fun at people who take their show
> too seriously, as that's emphatically not the role they end the show to
> fill.

Jon Stewart is overrated. His comedy is essentially centrist comedy, taking anyone -- on the Left or Right -- who has any conviction and sending a message to the audience: how can anyone take _that_ seriously? Since the Republicans and Hugo Chavez both have convictions of their own, though politically on the opposite sides, they are both fair targets of the centrist comedian. If most of his targets are on the Right, that's only because almost anyone politically prominent is a rightist in the USA. The question is what he will make fun of and how when the Republicans lose power (though it doesn't seem like that's beginning to happen this year). His kind of comedy doesn't work well against the Democratic Party.

Besides, the Democrats already satirize themselves very well:

"The designated jokester from the Democratic side was Barack Obama, the freshman senator from Illinois. 'You hear this constant refrain from our critics that Democrats don't stand for anything,' he said. 'That's really unfair. We do stand for anything'" (Hendrik Hertzberg, 20 March 2006, <http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/060327ta_talk_hertzberg>).

Stewart can't top that. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>