[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 11:23:37 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So what have we learned from Jon Stewart this week?
>

> The lesson is, always be polite, even when you're
> talking about mass murder. Chavez should have soberly
> declared Bush in particular and US foreign policy in
> general 'unhelpful' or 'counterproductive' or used
> some other diplomatically smooth description.
> Bellafonte, during his visit, should have called Bush
> 'mistaken' or 'misguided' and left the terrorist word
> out of the mix.

Jon Stewart may be a notch or two above most TV news in his commentary (even or especially as a comedian), but the viewpoint he displays is still based on a narrative of us bumbling dogooders, vs. crazy Arabs and S. American Che groupies. It's refreshing that he doesn't strive to make Bushies and their apologists comfortable, but what's that saying?

-- Andy