[lbo-talk] Joint Palestinian-Israeli Poll: 67% Israelis Support Negotiations With PA Gov't including Hamas

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Tue Sep 26 14:32:57 PDT 2006

Joint Palestinian-Israeli Public Opinion Poll*

IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE WAR IN LEBANON, PALESTINIAN SUPPORT FOR HAMAS UNCHANGED WITH GREATER PRAGMATISM AMONG ISRAELIS REGARDING NEGOTIATIONS

Table of Contents:

Main Findings

§ Impact of the War in Lebanon on the Israeli-Palestinian Arena

§ Assessment of the War in Lebanon by Israeli Jews and Arabs

§ Impact of the War on the Israeli-Syrian Arena

§ Other Conflict Resolution Issues

§ Palestinian Domestic Balance of Power

These are the results of the most recent poll conducted September 10-19 jointly by the Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research in Ramallah

The joint poll examined Israelis’ and Palestinians’ attitudes on the conflict in the aftermath of the second war in Lebanon. It tracked both publics’ attitudes regarding the resumption of a political process and their assessments of the impact of the war on the propensity for further violence in the Israeli-Palestinian arena.

67% of the Israelis support negotiations with a Palestinian national unity government which includes Hamas if needed to reach a compromise agreement. Even when a Hamas-led government is concerned, we observe increased moderation among Israelis: 56% support and 43% oppose talks with a Hamas government if needed in order to reach a compromise agreement with the Palestinians. In our June 2006 poll before the war, 48% supported such talks with 49% opposing it. Among Palestinians, however, we observe some hardening in this regard. Before the war, in our June poll, 70% thought that a Hamas-led PA should negotiate with Israel and 26% believed it should not; after the war, 59% support such talks while 38% oppose them.

for more: http://alternativenews.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=563&Itemid=1