[lbo-talk] Cambodia bets big on tourism

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 14:39:30 PDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> He has also developed a Hitch-like anti-Muslim tic which has turned me
> off his blog. I keep meaning to listen to Doug's recent interview with
> him (Doug: did you manage to keep him off of the Middle East?). As
> I've said before, I really liked his Geography of Nowhere. On
> (sub)urban planning, his is great.

I really liked it too, which made _Long Emergency_ a real disappointment. But it follows a persistent line of thinking where one's ideal society is believed to be inenvitable. He gives the game away when he says he's just laying out a future scenario as opposed to expressing his wishes. Yeah, right, he doesn't want a resurgence of NE town centers and small cities, or for Phoenix to go the way of the Anasazi.

He's the anti-Chomsky when it comes to references. That worked ok in his earlier works, which tend to be somewhat subjective screeds, but it runs off the rails here.

-- Andy