[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 26 16:13:52 PDT 2006

--- ylle521 at highstream.net wrote:>
> 40 months max, according to Wikipedia.
>
> And it may be that the "live within capitalism"
> approach of Chavez is
> not the ultimate answer, but I'd argue that the
> poorer (aka browner)
> folk of Venezuela are doing better than right now
> than they were
> before. And as is the case in Cuba: how can a
> third world leftist
> govt hope to survive on this planet without
> exercising the controls
> they do on their media, etc? Isn't it plain that
> the spontaneous
> support of "the people" is not always enough to cut
> it, to "safeguard
> the revolution"?
>
> Maria

While I appreciate the realities of expropriating surplus value and

funneling it back to the workers, I would also think it possible

to be able to do this within a civil libertarian context. A worker should

be able to say, "Chavez sucks" without being thrown in the slammer

for an uttered thought crime. After all, if we don't know why other workers

might say, "Chavez sucks", we wouldn't be able to solve the problem or

clear the air which generated such a thought. If it is just, "Chavez sucks because

my employer is unhappy or the religious authorties don't like seeing

the women going to school (a la Afghanistan) then, we can ignore

the comment. But, if it is something akin to, "Chavez sucks because

he is siphoning money into a secret Swiss bank account....." well, that's

another matter.

Best,

Mike B)

Read "Penguins in Bondage": http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------- How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060926/48986972/attachment.htm>