[lbo-talk] chavez, bush, the devil and jon stewart

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 26 23:43:16 PDT 2006

Wow. That sure does suck. I guess one could say that "at least" it's a written law and not an unofficial, unwritten policy that would happen anyway, as it does in many countries that don't bother to formally announce restrictions on civil liberties like this.

Still, it really sucks. And I'm sure it's only worse in Iran.

-B.

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

"Article 147. Whosoever offends, by speech or writing, or in some other way disrespect, the President of the Republic [of Venezuela] or a person who is standing in for the President, may be punished by six to thirty months in prison if the offense is serious, by half that time if it is slight. The penalty is increased by one third if the offense has been committed publicly."*