[lbo-talk] Union top Dennis Rivera: "No one throws a party

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 26 14:12:29 PDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Jim Straub wrote:

> I find it very telling that this article (clearly an anti-union
> hack job, full of 'facts' from the 'center for union facts', bob
> fitch's favorite boss front group to smash unions)

Like it or not, it's all true. Unions tops earn a lot of money, and treat themselves to nice expense account junkets. It's exactly that kind of thing that makes Americans cynical about organized labor. According to Gallup, just 24% of the US public has "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in unions - half as many as banks, well below TV news and newspapers, and just above Congress.

And let's not get carried away romanticizing Dennis & 1199. They've done some good stuff, but lately it seems he's mostly been cutting deals with Gov Pataki and purging internal dissidents.

Doug