[lbo-talk] No road rage, but trains are stressful ...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 09:59:56 PDT 2006

>From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>
>
>[ Relaxed commute? Ha! --JMH ]
>
>Rail commuters like to brag that they have cushy commutes compared with
>people who drive to work -- they can nap, read a book and work on laptops.
>But commuting by train also is stressful, a new study has found. And the
>longer the commute, the more stress levels increase.

Boy, you Californians never give up! The Left Coast must be the last place in the nation where people are as giddy with delight at the prospect of sitting behind a steering wheel as folks elsewhere were in, say, 1950.

In any event, comparing rail vs. auto commuting is much the same as debating whether it's preferable to be electrocuted or gassed -- neither alternative is that great. All in all, though, I think commuting to Manhattan via the LIRR is slightly less shitty than traveling by car because you can at least read on the train, so the time isn't completely wasted.

Carl