[lbo-talk] rethinking marxism

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 07:04:49 PDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Didn't the British model of empire-building tend to institutionalize ethnic
> hatreds? The Brits tended to pit local groups against each other so that
> they could exercise control by being arbiters. This doesn't seem to have
> been a big success in promoting harmony in the long run.
>
> I think Niall Ferguson should be under sedation in a locked ward.
>
> Carl

Besides, aren't places the British empire once possessed especially messy today, in contrast to places where the French and Spanish empires once colonized? Israel/Palestine, Iraq, and Sudan are prime examples (even Lebanon nowadays is less unruly than them), though the British can always say that they were better than the Belgians in Congo and the Americans in Cambodia and that what looks like a British problem is actually an American problem, as erstwhile British possessions mainly fell into the US sphere of influence, while the French have managed to keep many of their former colonies in their sphere of influence. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>