[lbo-talk] Liberal rage...

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 08:58:47 PDT 2006

>From: "sean.andrews" <cultstud76 at gmail.com>
>
>...that's the beauty of 21st century capitalism: there's a niche market for
>everything, even liberal rage. I say better this than 9/11 conspiracy
>theories. Though it seems pretty genuine, Olberman has been filling this
>role for several months, particularly as an opponent to O'Reilly. You can
>find dozens of clips like this on the Crooks and Liars webpage.
>Unfortunately, here he seems to get a bit too sanctimonious, something
>which he usually avoids--I almost gagged when he ended with "Good night and
>good luck."

I think highly of Keith Olbermann's characteristic eloquence, but I agree this latest commentary verged on bombastic, and the Murrow signoff (has Olbermann ever done that before?) was indeed pompous.

>Still, it is always nice to see some measure of criticism emanating from
>the idiot box, even if it reifies a lot of other things (like Clinton being
>a stand up guy) that most leftists wouldn't care for.

Yes, I can't quite share the excitement over Bill Clinton as a truth-seeking anti-FOX missile. I thought Clinton looked ill and tired and sounded shrill, like some querulous old man, in his encounter with Chris Wallace. As usual, the only thing that gets Bill really steamed up is when he perceives an assault on his (wholly illusory) historic stature; in office or now, Clinton has never shown the slightest concern with the public interest in any way that matters.

That said, there seemed to be something more bugging Bill than just Wallace's (fairly mild) questioning. Bill's latest gambit for sucking up to billionaires, the "Clinton Global Initiative," took place just before the Wallace interview; I wonder if the star of that plutocratic powwow, Richard Branson, failed to give Bill a pat on the head or something.

Carl