[lbo-talk] rethinking marxism, this time seriously

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Sep 28 13:38:16 PDT 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I wonder what was the thinking (if any) behind organizing a Marxist
> conference in a little Podunk hosting an elite college, instead of a place
> to which wage earning grunts can actually get and stay, or better yet, live
> there (like NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore or Detroit). Is not it indicative
> of where the Marxist thought is nowadays?

Has this conference ever been held in the Midwest, in a city other than Chicago?

People would be surprised at how many radical lefties are out here in the Midwest. I've flabbergasted by some of the Marxist books that have been donated to our bookstore/infoshop/library in the past two years. I think that a conference like Rethinking Marxism would do well at any number of cities or towns around the Midwest.

One of the things that excites me about the GOP convention coming to the Twin Cities in 2008 is that it will bring a bunch of you coastal lefties to the Midwest where we can have some fun together. ;-)

Wojtek does have a good point about transportation. I found myself stranded at LAX airport in April and had to get a SupperShuttle for a 45 minute ride to Clairmont for an anarchist conference at Pitzer. Conference organizers really need to keep these needs in mind.

Chuck