[lbo-talk] Fwd: Middle Class in Turmoil

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 29 07:10:46 PDT 2006

CENTER FOR AMERICAN PROGRESS America's middle class families are caught in an unprecedented crunch. Despite a growing economy, their incomes have remained stagnant. And because prices for big-ticket items such as housing and health care have gone through the roof, families have had to take on more debt to maintain their basic needs and, as a consequence, have been unable to save. Taken together, these trends have left families increasingly vulnerable to the impact of an economic crisis such as unemployment or a medical emergency.

For more information, please read Middle Class in Turmoil: Economic Risks Up Sharply for Most Families Since 2001 <=http:// www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=2106225>.

Thanks,

Winnie Stachelberg Senior Vice President for External Affairs

---

The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan research and educational institute dedicated to promoting a strong, just and free America that ensures opportunity for all. We believe that Americans are bound together by a common commitment to these values and we aspire to ensure that our national policies reflect these values. We work to find progressive and pragmatic solutions to significant domestic and international problems and develop policy proposals that foster a government that is "of the people, by the people, and for the people.