[lbo-talk] Evil and Stupidity

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Fri Sep 29 12:52:00 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Libertarians are often anti-imperialist. And since when is everyone
> on the left a pacifist?

Libertarians are a very different category of right-winger though. Many have a live-and-let-live philosophy and a commitment to rational discussion.

Apparently, many "progressives" don't. Someone recently thanked me because I didn't abuse him when he asked pointed questions about leftist viewpoints, explaining that he was usually shouted him down. There seems to be many on the left who contemptuously view you as an enemy when they learn you hold the Wrong opinions.

Charles Brown wrote:
> Libertarians are often anti-imperialist. And since when is everyone
> on the left a pacifist?

In my experience, their right-wing viewpoint starts becoming clear when they honestly admit they don't care that much about the systematic domination caused by capitalism, particularly the pure form they desire.

(Many have a peculiar definition of "freedom" which includes the freedom to be a wage-slave at some sweatshop, because the state shouldn't regulate working hours.)

Tayssir

-- "Till there be property there can be no government, the very end of which is to secure wealth, and to defend the rich from the poor." -- Adam Smith, _Lectures on Jurisprudence_