[lbo-talk] Charles Glass on accusations about Hizbullah]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 29 14:45:07 PDT 2006

[from the current LRB]

Too fair to Hizbullah?

From Charles Glass

Eugene Goodheart asks whether I am familiar with two statements he attributes to Hizbullah's secretary-general, Sayed Hassan Nasrallah (Letters, 7 September). Goodheart uses the inflammatory quotations to accuse Nasrallah of being 'an anti-semite with fantasies of genocide'. If I am unfamiliar with the statements, it is because they are in all likelihood fabrications.

The first ('If they [the Jews] all gather in Israel it will save us the trouble of going after them worldwide') was circulated widely on neo-con websites, which give as its original source an article by Badih Chayban in Beirut's English-language Daily Star on 23 October 2002. It seems that Chayban left the Star three years ago and moved to Washington. The Star's managing editor writes of Chayban's article on Nasrallah, that 'I have faith in neither the accuracy of the translation [from Arabic to English] nor the agenda of the translator [Chayban].' The editor-in-chief and publisher of the Star, Jamil Mrowe, adds that Chayban was 'a reporter and briefly local desk sub and certainly did not interview Nasrallah or anyone else.' The account of Nasrallah's speech in the Lebanese daily As Safir for the same day makes no reference to any anti-semitic comments. Goodheart's second quotation – 'They [the Jews] are a cancer which is liable to spread at any moment' – comes from the Israeli government's website at <http://tinyurl.com/99hyz>. For the record, a Hizbullah spokeswoman, Wafa Hoteit, denies that Nasrallah made either statement.

Goodheart wonders whether, as a former captive of Hizbullah, I may have succumbed to Stockholm syndrome; may I ask in return whether he is succumbing to the disinformation that passes for scholarship and journalism in certain quarters in the United States?

Charles Glass Paris