[lbo-talk] Bush loses Bob Woodward

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:08:48 PDT 2006

On 9/29/06, jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2006 at 16:32, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Like I said, a book like that is supposed to be kept under seal until
> > release date. Obviously the seal was porous, so it'd be interesting
> > to know how it happened.
> >
> > Long ago The Nation got sued for breaking an embargo on, hmm, was it
> > Gerald Ford's memoirs or something. The suit got thrown out, but it
> > was a bit of a coup for the NYT to get a copy.

The case was a copyright case.... and it was called Harper and Row v. Nation Enterprises 471 U.S. 539 (1985), if any one is interested.

What Harper hit the Nation for was extensive quotation of the book and thus they claimed that the Nation violated their copyright. The Nation claimed that this was a newsworthy item and they were engaged in fair use. The court concluded that "fair use" narrows for an unpublished work. Since Ford's book was not yet "officially" published Ford's right to control the publication of substantial portions of his work was violated.

If you will notice the New York Times piece avoids this problem by not quoting in any substantial way from Woodward's book.

Thus as far as I can tell there were no laws broken here. But the contract between the bookstore and Woodward's publishers was probably broken if an agent of a bookstore actually sold the book.

Jerry

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more. I've had a copy of this book since
> Wed. the 20th but I haven't made a
> point to get to it yet. Woodward isn't a high priority for me.
>
> I received the book free since it was damaged and headed for the trashcan.
> A B&N employee I know thought it
> looked "like something I would read" and gave it to me rather than add it
> to the local landfill. I receive a large
> number of books with minimal damage this way. Officially the company
> forbids this practice but in reality it
> happens quite a bit.

John as a former employee of B & N I think that you should have been less specific here. The contract between B & N and Woodward publishers was broken by simply opening the box, damaged or not. If B & N gets sued you could be called upon to testify and I doubt you would be able to claim press privleges because actually you are receiver of stolen goods. Listen I am on your side here I am just hoping that we can be discrete to protect our friends, just in case.

I'm sure an employee of B&N or Borders would be happy to sneak a copy out