Faulkner, was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Night Watch

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 17:32:36 PDT 2006

On 9/29/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I mean in a good way. Every word is right -- every sentence rhythm. It
> is achingly beautiful.
>
> Carrol
>
> I think that "Absalom, Absalom" is one of the 5 greatest novels ever
written -- ( "Anna Karenina", "Lolita", "Pride and Prejudice", "Absalom, Absalom", "Bleak House" and my inner argument about Ulysses / Berlin, Alexanderplatz / Swan's Way / Madame Bovary / Pale Fire / and Wuthering Heights in sixth place place....) The only other novel I have read more often if "Anna K."

But if you'll notice I respect Nabokov greatly ... having included him twice on this list.... So I have tried to comprehend his hatred of Faulkner and Dostoevsky....

And in truth Faulkner can be inelegant at times. He does feel drunk on his own words and unable to make distinctions.

This is only to say that in trying hard to understand Nabokov's haughty dismissal of Faulkner I have again come to the conclusion that there is no way we can argue over art -- we can explicate, praise, react, hope to reveal, and help to experience but rarely if ever convince someone out of their own confirmed taste.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060929/3ccaeac6/attachment.htm>