[lbo-talk] Bush loses Bob Woodward

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 30 13:41:45 PDT 2006

On 29 Sep 2006 at 20:08, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> John as a former employee of B & N I think that you should have been less specific here. The
> contract between B & N and Woodward publishers was broken by simply opening the box,
> damaged or not. If B & N gets sued you could be called upon to testify and I doubt you would be
> able to claim press privleges because actually you are receiver of stolen goods. Listen I am on
> your side here I am just hoping that we can be discrete to protect our friends, just in case.

Your right, it was less than discrete of me. I was only letting Doug and anyone else know that getting an advanced copy of such a book doesn't require any special inside connections or nefarious behaviour. It's a common occurance. What's less common is that someone writes a NYT article concerning it.

I don't know the specifics behind this latest agreement concerning the Woodward book but in most cases the boxes are opened days in advance of the sale. They are only held in receiving until the release date. They are received into inventory when they arrive at the store.

I did not receive stolen property however. Damaged books are removed from inventory and discarded. Once in the trash they can be picked up by anyone.

John Thornton