[lbo-talk] More on Oprah's "The Secret"...

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 10:40:32 PDT 2007

[...from U. of Mass. Prof./American Physical Society Pres. and physicist Bob Park, who I've forwarded stuff from many times before. -B.]

--------

"SECRET" DESIGN: CREATION OF THE UNIVERSE ACCORDING TO OPRAH.

Why is "The Secret" suddenly the number-one best seller? When I first heard that "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne is at the top of the NY Times bestseller list I didn't believe it. Besides, I look at the best seller list in the Sunday Times every week, and I hadn't seen anything called "The Secret" in either Fiction or Nonfiction. But there is a category called, "Advice," that the NYT only posts on the web. You can think of it as books for people who watch daytime television. The great champion of The Secret is Oprah Winfrey. The Secret is a new-age theory about how to get rich, or laid, by just wanting it badly enough. It works for Oprah. The Secret quotes "world renowned quantum physicist" Dr. John Hagelin, who explains it this way, "Quantum mechanics confirms it. Quantum cosmology confirms it.

The universe emerges from thought and all of this matter around us is just precipitated thought." Well, so much for the Higgs. There is a tendency to attribute anything weird to quantum mechanics.