[lbo-talk] Narmada, damn!

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 1 12:09:32 PDT 2007

>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com:
>
>We have billions & billions now, so the world as it
>exists depresses
>you inutterably? I love living in a big city full of
>all kinds of
>people from all over the place.
>
>Doug

Here's the thing though. You live in one of the nicest sections of the greatest cities in the world.

"Billions" wouldn't feel so hot in a slum in Rio.

You don't have to hate people to realize that we don't need to reproduce at the rate we did when most of the kids died in infancy.To have fewer children would allow us to care better for the ones we do have.

It is not necessarily misanthropic to say that there needs to be a balance betwen us and the environment that sustains us and without which we could not exist.

Joanna