[lbo-talk] Marx's critique of neo classical economics

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 20:54:46 PDT 2007

Isn't this a version of Say's Law (Supply produces its own demand), which Marx mocks? As I understand Marx, the production of commodities is a function of a need to realize value, thus accumulate capital, which can only of course be done if demand is effective, but the accumulation of capital and the production of commodities continues frenetically regardless as the capitalist attempts to recover the sunken costs (to switch jargon here) of his capital investment. Where demand is lacking and value is not realized as profit the individual capitalist goes belly up or the system goes into crisis. I am clearly following Brenner here, but I think Brenner has this right. Of course I might be wrong about everything, as usual.