[lbo-talk] Brits' shit fit over seized sailors misfires

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Mon Apr 2 06:52:45 PDT 2007

At 7:07 AM -0700 1/4/07, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> > Since when are prisoners held by a government called hostages?
>I believe that starts when the government in question denys consular
>visits.
>
>Iran would do well to study the Hainan Island Incident.

I suspect they are instead seeking to emulate the 'secret prisons' protocols recently invented by the USA to deal with enemy prisoners. That is to say, pretend there is no such thing as international law, the Geneva Convention, or the like. Just snatch anyone you like from anywhere you like, anytime you feel like it, then coerce "confessions" from them using torture and run them through a kangaroo court a few years later.

It was hilarious to see Georgie Bush bleating about how disgraceful this sort of behaviour is.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas