[lbo-talk] Merely cultural and post-Situ

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 10:09:53 PDT 2007

I'd lately been intrigued that Foucault rarely, if ever, addressed internment camps, concentration camps, and especially death camps, since he covered the prison and the mental asylum so well. Foucault covered fascism, yes -- but its specific crystallization in the form of the death camp? Maybe a passing reference in The Care of the Self on one or two pages, or a minor reference in a lecture, but nothing like his direct focus on penology.

Then I found Giorgio Agamben, and, honestly, since I've read Agamben I've found Foucault a lot easier to grasp or "get." My advice to anyone approaching Foucault would be to work backwards through Agamben, who applies Foucauldian analyses to Guantanamo, WW2 concentration camps, and seems to conceive of nation-states as sleeping Auscwhitzes, waiting to be roused from their slumber. I found Agamben's explanation of "the self" and esp. "bio-power" (in _Homo Sacer_) enabled me to go backwards and make more sense of Foucault's description.

-B.

BklynMagus wrote:
> Try late Foucault and his idea of the care of the
self.

> See also the just published "Foucault's Askesis: An
Introduction to the Philosophical Life" by Edward F. McGushin which I have been dip;ping into over the weekend. Foucault brings back the self, but in a new way.