[lbo-talk] Narmada Dam (was Arundhati Roy etc.)

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 11:09:46 PDT 2007

According to Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheumatism>, it's pretty much impossible to use the term properly:

The term "rheumatism" is still used in colloquial speech and historical contexts, but is no longer frequently used in medical or technical literature; it would be fair to say that there is no longer any recognized disorder simply called "rheumatism". The traditional term covers such a range of different problems that to ascribe symptoms to "rheumatism" is not to say very much: arthritis and rheumatism between them cover at least 200 different conditions.

As for the environmental vs. genetic distinction, how many disorders exist in which both are not factors?

I just dislike misuse of the term rheumatism probably because my wife