[lbo-talk] merely cultural

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 2 14:12:36 PDT 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 4/2/07, Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > The merely cultural obviously cannot be ignored;
> > Marxists don't have much to say about what is important and pivotal
> > here. A pluralistic approach is needed.
>
> It's doubtful that a pluralistic approach will come into vogue among
> US leftists if a New Age Catholic who otherwise stands for many of the
> things they stand for is too far out for them.
> --

1. There is no such thing as the _merely_ cultural, and I don't have much to say to any alleged Marxist who uses that ridiculous phrase. Value theory is primarily a cultural theory, a theory of the organization of daily life (i.e. of culture) under given historical conditions.

2. If we are talking about _analysis_ there is no room for pluralism from a marxist perspective. That is, historical /cultural analysis must be grounded in value theory and the concept of commodity fetishism.

3. If we are talking about political activity, then of course any marxist not willing to unite with all who can be united is only an academic marxist, so in this sense _all_ marxists are agreed on a pluralist approach.

Carrol