[lbo-talk] Ehrenreich on depression

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 07:31:24 PDT 2007

>From: "Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl>
>
>How we learned to stop having fun
>
>Barbara Ehrenreich
>Monday April 2, 2007
>Guardian
>
>Beginning in England in the 17th century, the European world was
>stricken by what looks, in today's terms, like an epidemic of
>depression.

I blame the clothes. On TV the other night I happened to catch a bit of "Cromwell" (1970), with Richard Harris chewing the scenery in the title role, ably supported, as one reviewer notes, by "Alec Guinness' waspish King Charles I appearing, on occasion, as if he were channeling Oscar Wilde." My main takeaway was that the 17th century was Western Civ's absolute low point for fashion. Who wouldn't be depressed dressed in an outfit like that illustrated in the Dutch Masters Cigars logo? Wearing shapeless black clothing with a white collar that looks like a baby's bib, topped off by the ugliest hat ever to appear on a human head, would make anyone suicidal. <http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/dutchmasters.asp>

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline