[lbo-talk] Salon death watch (cont.)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Apr 3 08:53:25 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [The Salon death watch commenced about time the dot.com's went bust.
> Still, it survives...]

This IS very welcome news!

> Also, everyone hates that darn Site Pass, except some geniuses over
> there who think it's going to save them: "As a result of analyzing
> the traffic patterns to Salon's Website, Salon believes that its Site
> Pass advertising model, which Salon credits as instrumental in
> increasing advertising revenues, and driving memberships to Salon
> Premium, inhibits growth in traffic to its Website." So: fewer
> visitors, but better bang per buck per visitor. (How Times Select!)
> Things looked up a bit in the last quarter, with advertising revenues
> at a "record" $2.8 million and a profit (!) of—drumroll, please—
> $200,000.

I used to read Salon.com for years, but gave up on them around a year ago. They used to have some good original reporting.

I stopped reading them precisely because of the Site Pass. What a stupid decision by a publisher! Salon kept changing the way that you accessed their front page and putting up an interstitial payment page WITH OBNOXIOUS ADS just made it a pain in the neck to find out what Salon was even publishing. Then they kept changing the design of their home page, de-emphasizing the news and features and trying to drive people to paid services.

Actually, the only reason why I still visit Salon.com is for their personals site.

While Salon.com has some excellent original reporting, news analysis and political opinion, I find it hard to believe that many people would pay for it. I can't see how any of it is critical to somebody who is a liberal or otherwise. Hell, if the New York Times has problems getting people to bite on their "Select" program I can't see Salon making it through a heavy subscription-based system.

I'm willing to bet that part of Salon's problem has to do with the fact that there are now hundreds of interesting liberal-left blogs and news sites. Such as the DailyKos, Buzzflash, the Democratic Underground, and much more.

But I think that Salon's annoying interstitial ad program is what will kil them. Good riddance!

Chuck