[lbo-talk] The Death of Classical Music (da capo, con, brio)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 3 13:36:43 PDT 2007

>My taste for opera was seeded in part to exposure as a kid to Gilbert
>& Sullivan and The Magic Flute. I don't remember it tasting
>particularly medicinal.
>
>--
> Colin Brace

Maybe I should clarify. What I mean is the only way you get classical music now is by seeking it out on your own. And you should do that supposedly because it's good for you.

Gilbert & Sullivan and a hammy Leonard Bernstein are just the kind of thing I'm talking about that's missing. What do we have now besides Baby Mozart? And that's not even designed to help kids learn about music, it's just supposed to make them smarter by listening to it, an idea that has been soundly disproven I think.