[lbo-talk] The Death of Classical Music (da capo, con, brio)

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Tue Apr 3 15:40:13 PDT 2007

A propos of the direction the conversation has taken, back in the day, there was a venerable musical tradition that combined rock & roll with classical themes. It was a pretty good way to introduce kids to the larger cultural landscape, and it was how I got turned on to classical music. The tradition continues. For those in the New York City area, I highly recommend the East Village Opera Company. They’re playing at Town Hall on April 27. Here’s their website:

http://www.eastvillageoperacompany.com/

Click on the video link for La Donna e Mobile and you’ll be sold.

Gary

Message: 2 Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:53:10 -0700 From: Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> Subject: [lbo-talk] The Death of Classical Music (da capo, con, brio) To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <200704031953.l33Jrhmj012825 at flpi102.sbcis.sbc.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

>What's better? I grew up enchanted by that old ham Leonard
>Bernstein's TV shows. You mean that sort of thing?
>
>Doug

Sure, maybe the cornier the better for the little ones. My daughter is learning about classical music from her mother but without that I don't see where in the media landscape she would get it.

I also think things could be shaken up a little in other ways to get people interested. For example, a musicologist named Susan McClary argues that symphony orchestras wear black to hide the musicians' bodies and deemphasize the physicality of a live concert. Whether you buy that or not, changing the look of an orchestra and doing some ridiculous promotion on tv might get more people in the tent.