[lbo-talk] Not A Very Nice Man

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 4 08:29:54 PDT 2007

Rakesh:

Andie, you claim that Marx set out to destroy anyone whom he could not dominate. To historical and biographical details that speak against this vicious caricature--his admiration for the Communards whose principles he detested, his embrace of Dietzgen, and one should add his many compromises in First International--you say that Marx had an illegitimate child and that I am true believer. As Blake noted, Marx was an urbane and polished controversialist compared to his pathetic, fulminating, not very nice critics.

[WS:] A biography by Francis Wheen, which is rather sympathetic, makes it clear that he was rather petulant, misogynist, insensitive, and egocentric.

I shall stay clear. It was mistake to rejoin the list.

[WS:] That is forgivable. Using the html emailer that renders text formatting FUBAR and is difficult to get rid of is not. :-)

Wojtek