[lbo-talk] Intel wants policy clarity before India plant

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Apr 4 08:43:17 PDT 2007

Business Standard http://www.business-standard.com/

Wednesday,Apr 04,2007

Intel wants policy clarity before India plant http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage_c_online.php?leftnm=11&bKeyFlag=IN&autono=22064

Press Trust of India / Mumbai April 03, 2007

Intel Corporation, the world's largest chip manufacturer, today said it was awaiting detailed guidelines of the semi-conductor policy before deciding on setting up a manufacturing facility in India.

"After the cabinet approval, the government has notified the policy but we are waiting for the detailed policy guidelines before announcing any decision," Ramamurthy Sivakumar, managing director (South Asia), Intel told PTI.

The government, in mid-March, notified the semi-conductor policy with an expectation to attract Rs 24,000 crore in the next three years.

Intel, which is currently running a development centre in Bangalore, has been in constant dialogue with the Indian government for setting up a manufacturing base, most likely an assembly test manufacturing (ATM) plant, commonly known as a wafer packaging plant.

Intel has fifteen 12-inch wafer fabrication plants in the US, Ireland and Israel, and there are seven ATM plants in the world with the latest announced in Vietnam last year.

"We have been in discussion with various countries, and last year we announced to set up an ATM plant in Vietnam," Sivakumar said.

Intel recently announced a fabrication unit with an investment of $2.5 billion in China where it has been operating an ATM plant for the last five to six years taking its investment there to $4 billion.

Business Standard Ltd. Copyright & Disclaimer