[lbo-talk] Not A Very Nice Man

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 10:57:41 PDT 2007

--- "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ST Joshi's _Atheism: A Reader_ has selections in it
> from Bertrand Russell, Robert Ingersoll, Emma
> Goldman,
> Percy Bysshe Shelley, Carl Sagan, Nietzsche,
> mencken,
> and -- yep, HP Love craft.
>
> Lovecraft's isn't one of the stronger selections in
> the book. It's titled "A Letter on Religion" from
> 1918. It's from his massive correspondence.
>
> A quote:
>
> "So far I have seen nothing which could possibly
> give
> me the notion that ... a potent and purposeful
> consciousness which deals individually and directly
> with the miserable denizens of a wretched little
> flyspeck on the back door of a microscopic universe,
> and which singles this putrid excrescence out as the
> one spot whereto to send an only-begotten Son, whose
> mission is to redeem those accursed
> flyspeck-inhabiting lice which we call human beings
> --- bah!!

Well, this doesn't say anything about the gods who are really in charge, who as we all know are Great Azathoth and his soul Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________ We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love (and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265