[lbo-talk] Not A Very Nice Man

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:54:16 PDT 2007

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>I said that Marx he had a bad temper and a bitter
>tongue ...

... and a fat lot of good it did him. Marx's frequent idle vituperation was counterproductive in the extreme. E.g., from Carl Schurz's "Reminiscences" on Marx in Cologne, 1848:

"[Marx] enjoyed the reputation of having acquired great learning, and as I knew very little of his discoveries and theories, I was all the more eager to gather words of wisdom from the lips of the famous man. This expectation was disappointed in a peculiar way. Marx's utterances were indeed full of meaning, logical and clear, but I have never seen a man whose bearing was so provoking and intolerable. To no opinion which differed from his own did he accord the honor of even condescending consideration. Everyone who contradicted him he treated with abject contempt; every argument that he did not like he answered either with biting scorn at the unfathomable ignorance that had prompted it, or with opprobrious aspersions upon the motives of him who advanced it. I remember most distinctly the cutting disdain with which he pronounced the word 'bourgeois'; and as a 'bourgeois' -- that is, as a detestable example of the deepest mental and moral degeneracy -- he denounced everyone who dared to oppose his opinion ... it was very evident that not only had he not won any adherents, but he had repelled many who otherwise might have become his followers."

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_APR07